Thursday 14 January 2016

The Team That Wouldn't Die by John Roberts











As a lifelong supporter of Manchester United I have always known a little bit about the team's history and the Munich Air Disaster but I have learned so much more from reading this,




Before I turned the first page I wasn't expecting it to be that good of a read but I was wrong. First published in 1975 and with subsequent updates, it is a fascinating look back at the events of February 6, 1958 and the repercussions it had on Manchester United Football Club, the fans and Manchester itself.


Well researched and including first hand accounts, I'd go as far as saying that this is essential reading for any Manchester United fan, young or old. It is not only an educational book but also a terrific tribute to The Busby Babes and all those injured and lost during the crash, including the players, the coaching staff, those working for the airline and other passengers. I actually feel like I now know each and every one of the players that we lost. Not just how good they were but what they were like as people.







               'What we have lost they have gained in respect and immortality.'


                                                         Jackie Blanchflower








5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment